9.06.2011

beauty diy: wake up scrub

Lately I've been looking into DIY beauty recipes and soaps.  There haven't been too many I've been super impressed with yet, mainly because I don't have all the ingredients and am usually too lazy to go out looking for them.  But!  One recipe that I absolutely love is this body/face scrub.  You will most likely have ALL of these ingredients on hand, and if you don't, well, it's stuff you should always have on hand.

First let's talk about the ingredients: what I love most about this recipe is it gets rid of your used coffee grounds!  Normally I hate just tossing the grounds into the trash, since I don't have a garden I can throw them in, so this is a great recycling tool.  Second, if you don't have peppermint essential oil I couldn't recommend it more.  It is a great soother especially for headaches!  I always put it on for headaches or neck-aches.  Hopefully the rest of the ingredients you have on hand!

Wake.Up Scrub
{Read more at Wholeliving.com: Wake-Up Scrub }

1/4 cup olive oil or oil of choice (vitamin e, jojoba oil, etc.)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup pure turbinado sugar (I used my lavender raw sugar, because that's all I had)
15 drops peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
1/2 cup used coffee grounds from a freshly brewed pot

  • 1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; using a fork, thoroughly blend. Transfer the scrub to a wide mouthed jar, and store in a cool place until ready to use. The scrub will keep for one to two weeks, longer if refrigerated.
GET ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS TOGETHER

ADD COFFEE BEANS TO SUGAR MIXTURE
 COMBINE THE TWO TOGETHER

ADD PEPPERMINT EXTRACT

 ADD OLIVE OIL

ADD VANILLA EXTRACT
STIR EVERYTHING UP TOGETHER!
STORE IN A COOL PLACE UNTIL READY TO USE
  • 2. While showering, apply handfuls of the coffee scrub to wet skin in circular motions, starting at the feet and working up. The scrub contains oil, so it's best to do this over a rubber mat to avoid slipping. Pay particular attention to rough spots such as heels, ankles, knees, and elbows.
  • 3. After scrubbing, cleanse skin as usual using a mild natural soap or body wash. Pat skin dry with a fluffy towel, and follow with lotion to seal in the moisture.

3 comments:

  1. Ooo I love this!! I love to geek out over home remedies, and this one seems not ridiculous, and like it would smell delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm gonna have to try this! i just made one i found over on joy the baker, but felt it was a little too rough on my skin!
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this has been on my to-do list! weck jar included. thanks for reminding me!!! yours looks amazing :)))
    j.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...