3.24.2012

saturday is for doughnuts

This week, I tried making macarons, and despite my best efforts, failed on all 3 accounts.  The macarons weren't a total disaster, but at least one thing would always go wrong making them less than desirable.  What makes macaron failures the absolute worse - is the fact that you're left with a TON of egg yolks left over.  But luckily for me, some of my favorite treats require egg yolks, my favorite of the bunch being doughnuts.  So, on Friday I fried up some espresso old-fashioned doughnuts (because I also had some sour cream I needed to get rid of).  Those turned out quite well!  I am quite pleased with my creation.  The reason I chose espresso was because I have a large jar of Nescafe espresso powder, and have hardly used any of it.  Espresso flavored doughnuts really does pair nicely with coffee, especially if you like glazed old-fashioneds, but not super sweet ones. I didn't take a picture of my espresso doughnuts.... sorry.

Then, to get rid of MORE egg yolks, I decided to whip up a batch of yeast raised doughnuts. I made one batch of yeast dough last night, stuck it in the fridge and fried them up this morning.  I decided, rather than glazing them all the same, I'd make small batches of glazes in different flavors. This is a super easy way to offer variety of flavors, with minimum work.  All you have to do is make a plain batch of doughnuts, then top to your liking!

MEET THE GROUP:

I wish I knew more people in Montreal I could force feed doughnuts, but for now it's just the husband and I.  I think Saturday doughnuts may have to be a tradition.


4 comments:

  1. looks beautiful! when I showed Lee, he said, she should open her own shop! I told him I had just said that to you. Just saying...you should think about it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I may actually try to start a small doughnut venture in CA if I move there. It would just be a small pre-order doughnut business in my kitchen. But I think before that I would want some taste testers!

      Delete
  2. i assure you that if i lived in montreal that i would eat your delicious donuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words! I wish I knew more people to give these doughnuts to... I'm getting too large.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...